Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Women of Gainey 2 West

I sat on the couch at the end of the hallway and watched as girl after girl, woman after woman, walked down the hallway. I was struck as I noticed how beautiful each and every one of them was. I can’t put my finger on what it was that made all of them so beautiful, because it was a conglomeration of things.  It wasn’t the fact that they fit our mass media’s description of “beauty” – for they all came from a wide range of height, weight, stature, hair color, eye color, and the like. As I sat there and thought about it some more, I realized part of what made each and every one of these very different women so distinctly beautiful. They fit themselves so well. They are a work of art, and each of them carries themselves as such. They each bear the creativity of their Creator and what’s more: they are real. Maybelline, plastic surgeons, fitness trainers, and media can push images of what “beauty” is, but there is one thing they can’t compete with or re-create – a real woman. A real woman knows that she is the living breathing advertisement of the talent and ingenuity of our God and there is something breathtaking about that.

For all the women who have been convinced by our culture that they don’t measure up to society’s standards of appearance and physical expectations, remember: you are fearfully and wonderfully made. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL.

Psalm 139:14: "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." 

No comments:

Post a Comment